Thursday 12 January 2012

Healthy Eating in 2012 - Food Diary

I have always been really interested in health and maintaining a natural, healthy lifestyle and with all the reading and researching I have done over the past couple of years, I am aware more than ever of the importance of good nutrition, especially whilst trying to conceive.

While I didn't do too badly on the healthy eating front last year, this year I am totally upping my game! I am aiming for a diet which includes even more fertility friendly foods, fresh and organic as much as possible, and I am cutting out wheat completely (I found out I have a wheat intolerance at the end of last summer and have since made a few attempts to eliminate it from my diet, with mixed success).

Last year I found myself really lacking in energy, tired ALL THE TIME and having a lot of dizzy spells, as well as lots of digestive issues. Cutting out wheat has really helped with my digestive issues and I do have a bit more energy and feel less like I am wearing lead boots the whole time but I do still get the odd dizzy spell and feel a little lacklustre occasionally so I really do need to make sure I am taking in all the right nutrients this year, make an extra effort to stay away from my wheat, and try to eat at regular intervals and not let my blood sugar get too low (something I have been guilty of for a while now).

I always cook from scratch where possible and avoid processed foods. I have been taking a good quality prenatal multivitamin for a while now, and also various supplements. I may need to add in a couple more this year but will look into this carefully first. (I'll do a separate blog about my supplements soon.)

I have started a food diary to keep a track of what I am eating and will post this from time to time.

Here is yesterday's:


Breakfast: porridge with milk, tsp coconut oil and sprinkling of cinnamon

Snack: couple of squares of milk chocolate, a few almonds

Lunch: Jacket potato with butter, half can of sardines in piri piri sauce, rocket & chickpea salad with olive oil & cider vinegar dressing. Kiwi for pudding

Snack: 4 plain oatcakes and a handful of peanuts

Dinner: Chunky spiced winter veg soup with chickpeas & beans. Apple for pudding.

So it's not perfect but it's a start. I am a total chocoholic and while I'm trying to kick the habit, I know that denying myself completely is futile and won't help me to stick to the diet long-term, so for now I will allow myself a little each day.  When my Christmas chocolate runs out, I will only be buying good quality dark chocolate as it will at least have some nutritional value with all its antioxidants. Better still, I'll eat only raw chocolate - this stuff has lots of wonderful health benefits...guilt-free chocolate consumption = heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment